10. Have a daily sleep schedule One of the most essential components of keeping a healthy living, is to follow the old motto of early to bed and early to rise. By getting sufficient sleep, you will feel more energized in the morning and hence more likely to stay fit and healthy. Sleep also helps you to maintain focus in what you do throughout the day, no matter what happens, remember never to compromise on your sleep!
11. Visit the doctor You may be in the best shape of your life, but that does not mean that you are free from all illness. Be sure to get yourself examined by a doctor on regular basis. Many diseases can go undetected, even when you are in the best of health, such as cardiac arrhythmias. A trained medical professional can pick out these sicknesses. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle requires lots of exercise, before starting any training program, get a full medical checkup. By regularly following up your health, it will also give you a sense of confidence whilst taking your workout to your bodies limit.
12. Quit smoking Everybody knows about how bad smoking is for your health, yet many simply choose to ignore it and carry on. To maintain a positive lifestyle, this attitude has to stop. Smoking is not only harmful to yourself, but also to those around you. Smoking has negative effects on your heart as well as your circulatory system; these can be lethal when you are pushing your body to the limit. Smoking contains many harmful chemicals, which damage your body and increases the chances of you developing cancer. Save yourself and those around you; stop smoking. Obviously stopping completely is hard; visit a GP or a smoking cessation clinic to help you achieve this goal.
13. Monitor Progress You need to know if the routine, which you are doing, is actually benefitting you. Start recording your body measurements in a diary or a smartphone application. Then check how you are doing every few weeks. Also try to increase your workout every few days; this will help you to increase workload on the heart and thus achieving a healthier heart.
14. Take your medications Being healthy is not just about being fit. As described previously, there are a lot of conditions in which you may be in amazing shape but your health is severely compromised. If you have been recommended to take medications, do make sure you take them regularly and in the prescribed amount. Conditions such as diabetes can soon take a turn for the worse, if blood glucose is not controlled by medications.
15. Know your limits Set realistic targets for yourself, by starving yourself you may achieve rapid results, but you will make your life miserable. By keeping yourself away from vital nutrients, you may risk malnutrition, anemia and many other diseases. As previously written, it’s always better to have a lifestyle and exercise routine designed by a professional. If you do not have such a liberty try not to lose more than 3kg per week, just to be on the safe side.
16. Drink plenty of water Your body contains more than 60% water. You lose water via sweating, urinating and metabolic activities in the body. Water needs to be replenished, it carries no calories, and so should not be a problem for those who are trying to lose weight. Although variations occur, the general consensus is that one should take at least seven glasses of water everyday. Water is vital to life; do not forget it.
17. Decrease stress in your life Stress, as we all know can decrease the quality of your life. Not only does it distort facts and makes focusing harder, but it also can lead to headaches, lack of interest and general tiredness. Always keep stress at a manageable level, and yes at times that is not possible, but as a motto for life, make sure that you’re not always at a stress level beyond your tolerance level. Some people enjoy stress, that’s all right but if it’s getting to you, make sure to change your lifestyle.
18. Learn from mistakes Obviously you will not find the perfect balance of nutrition, exercise and other aspects of your life in one go. Start off, and if one routine does not work for you try another, don’t let one disappointment shatter your hopes. You are unique, and so is your body. You just have to find the right balance to achieve all your goals.